Keepers of the Truth

This is a place where I will express myself in various ways. It is my hope that my views and art will create dialog which will be fun and informative. I'm always looking for insightful and constructive criticism.

Monday, July 03, 2006

 

Zidane... Was he really all that?

Ok, I think I need to have an unbiased opinion on this. I watched Saturday's match between Brasil and France and I was really unimpressed with the whole game. France won, 1-0 on a restart free kick where Henry got behind the defense unmarked. That was the one shining moment in an otherwise unremarkable game. France had 2-3 players on all the best Brazilians making it so every time Ronaldo touched the ball he was surrounded and he resorted to Maradona style dives to attempt to gain the calls.

Speaking of the calls, I thought that the referee did not really stay consistant with his calls. In fact, on the play where France scored, a Brasilian (I don't really recall who) was all but raped by two Frenchman (Nothing surprising there) to a no call, but then on the French attack someone got touched for a call. That is not the only example, but really inconsistant in my opinion.

No, I'm not blaiming the officials for the Brasil loss. They lost it themselves by not figuring out how to get past the French defense better, by not putting in a stronger or more comfortable striking line toward the end of the match to force a goal. In fact, look at the side which took the pitch for Brasil... No Emerson, Adriano did not start, Fred did not come in (He did well in round robin play as a late sub), and where was Robinho prior to the 80th minute? I was very disappointed in this game, and the handling of the Brasilian lineup.

What really gets me though is the press. During the match I had to listen to the announcers talk about how any time someone tried to attack Zidane they were showing lack of respect (even worse if they touched him on the tackle), but when they contained it was because he commanded such great respect. Did he play well? To me I think he played a good game. Yes, it is true he is a top quality player, but I don't think his played warrented then or now all this talk about how wonderful it was. He did drop that ball right onto a running Henry's foot. Beautiful touch that! He did make a few good touches to beat some defenders. Nothing more than Ronaldinho did though.

Maybe I'm just too biased. I'm not a fan of the French, on or off the pitch. This is something that started before the '98 World Cup when France spanked Brasil in the finals (Ok, before that I didn't realize France had a soccer team, but that will show how much respect I gave them). No, this has nothing to do with the recent "War on Terror" - Freedom Fries stuff. I think France was right to stay out. Anyway, am I just too biased to have seen a GREAT game from Zidane? Did I miss the magic? Please, let me know what you think.

Comments:
I know that a lot of people were glad that Brazil lost.
 
Can't comment on this recent performance as I haven't seen it yet.

But if you're asking the larger question, "Is Zizou one of the all time greats?" I'll answer an unreserved Yes.

I'll be back once I've seen the match.
 
I'm really not concerned with his reputation before the match. Don't know anything about him as a player other than other people have said he's good and I say, "He's French." My question is, did he really have an outstanding match? Did he really set the pace of the game? Could no other player have done what he did? That is the reaction I heard during the game and also what I have seen in the press, both French and Brasilian.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   November 2006   January 2007   March 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007