Keepers of the Truth

This is a place where I will express myself in various ways. It is my hope that my views and art will create dialog which will be fun and informative. I'm always looking for insightful and constructive criticism.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

things seen on a walk

Ok, as the weather has gotten better I've started taking my dog and my Nike+ shoes out for walks. It turns out I am competitive after all. Would I walk for just my health or even that of my beloved dog alone? Most likely not (that's what history shows at least), but when you say I get credit for each step and that can make it so I can beat some of my co-workers, I'm out walking every day! But what have I seen you ask?

1) Dead bird laying on the sidewalk. Dead birds don't decompose very quickly. :(

2) A local student athlete going to a neighbor's house to collect some money for some sale or pledgedrive or something and the lady at the door in her robe (looked fresh from the shower) handing him money. If I didn't see him walk up to the house I'd have all kinds of great ideas as to what was going on.

3) A young man approaching a house with flowers. Ah, teen love...

4) A mother sitting in a car in the driveway. Hood on the car is up and she's splitting time between reving the engine and yelling at her teenaged daughter.

5) A little miniture collie with a bark that sounds more like a wheeze. It's always fun to hear.

6) A dad working on cutting a tree in his front yard. He was in the cleanup stages and he had his little boy playing among the stumps. Dad said it was time to go in and the boy needed to get his trucks and go in. The boy refused and the dad, last I heard was picking up the trucks and depositing them one at a time in the trash can. This is a philosophy I somewhat like, but I have the feeling that if I search that trashcan I won't find any trucks come garbage day. Either that or I'll see the boy and dad at K-Mart buying new ones.

7) I saw my first skateboarder today. With where I was living last spring and where I work, this is nothing special, but I haven't seen any boarders in my neighborhood. Made me happy. Don't know why, don't really like boarders as a group (that's changing now that more of my kids are boarders), but it was a comfortable feeling.

8) There were a group of young kids playing in the side yard of one house and when I looked over one had another in a perfect armbar tilt, even had the leg over cover and everything. I was so happy to see this form of wrestling in my neighborhood. Then before I could turn the courner, I heard one of the other boys yell, "Ok, now I'm going WWE on you!" *sigh* I had such high hopes...

9) Lots of friendly people calling hello from across the street or on porches. This should be nothing really special, but when I would walk in the last neighborhood I hardly had anyone speak to me. It was more of a look straight ahead, if you make eye contact that means you want to be agressive.

10) A teen jumping in a car and when they drive past he's licking a blunt closed. Not trying to hide it or anything. What balls!

Ok, that's all from the first 3 days. Hopefully I'll have lots of new sights throughout the year. Only 40 more miles to meet my goal for this challange. That's another 20-ish walks.

Comments:
Fun stuff. Love the sights and sounds of a neighborhood.
 
Are you sure it wasn't just tobacco? :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   November 2006   January 2007   March 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007